A while back, I read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It was a great story that artfully communicated many of the values I hold closest to me.
Below are 18 quotes from Coelho that I found most memorable:
Choice & Action
- “At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie” (18).
- “You must always know what it is that you want.”
- “Making a decision was only the beginning of things. When someone makes a decision, he is really diving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision” (68).
- “There is only one way to learn. It’s through action” (125).
- “The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world, and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon” (34).
Connection & Understanding
- “If I can learn to understand this language without words, I can learn to understand the world.”
- “Intuition is really a sudden immersion of the soul into the universal current of life, where the histories of all people are connected, and we are able to know everything, because it’s all written there” (74).
- “There was a language in the world that everyone understood. It was the language of enthusiasm, of things accomplished with love and purpose, and as part of a search for something believed in and desired” (62).
- “The closer one gets to realizing his Personal Legend, the more the Personal Legend becomes his true reason for being.”
- “You will never be able to escape from your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say. That way, you’ll never have to fear an unanticipated blow” (129).
- “When you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed” (134).
Living in the Present
- “If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man.”
- “The secret is here in the present. If you pay attention to the present, you can improve upon it. And, if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better. Forget about the future, and live each day according to the teachings, confident that God loves his children. Each day, in itself, brings with it an eternity.”
- “Courage is the quality most essential to understanding the Language of the World.”
- “Love never keeps a man from pursuing his Personal Legend. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t true love… the love that speaks the Language of the World.”
- “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.”
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
- “The darkest hour of the night came just before the dawn.”